Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I'm not Betty Crocker

On September 24 I made my very first cake....from scratch, icing included! It was kind of a last minute thing. I think Sabrena mentioned it on Thursday and we made it the next night. I'm not going to lie, I was scared (for a few reasons). I've never made a cake (or anything) from scratch before, I'm a box kind of girl, and I'm ok with that. But, Sabrena assured me I could do and promised to hold my hand.....that's the other reason I was scared. See, Sabrena is my pastry chef friend. She makes the most delicious sweets that could ever grace your mouth! It wasn't until I met Sabrena that I had even heard of "cake flour"....I truly was a novas.
So we put on our aprons...I was taking this shit for real. To Sabrena...this was just another cake. To me....I was making history in my house. Clearly Sabrena knew I didn't know what the hell I was doing because she provided most of the ingredients. I started making the batter. I was pretty impressed. Plus, I've never "seen" anything made from scratch.
The batter was ready and I poured it into the cake pan.
And then popped that baby into the oven!
Now to make the icing while the cake was baking. You stand FOREVER with the mixer. Serious arm muscle now. While mixing Sabrena asks me if I have any store bought icing in the pantry. Wait...what? I thought I was making icing. Then she says "I'm not going to lie, butter cream icing is usually hard and it doesn't always turn out". Really? You made me make a "hard" icing. So then I got stressed and started felling like I couldn't do it. But I talked a big game, lol. I said "oh no, this is going to turn out". I was secretly praying to the bakery gods the whole time (I wonder if she noticed). We even added some Malibu Rum to give the icing an extra little kick.
Still mixing!
Let me first say, I'm not totally proud that my first cake was a penis cake. But, the cake was an inside joke for our friend, Stepanski, and I did think it was pretty cool that my first cake was for our first "girls night slumber party". Go me!
That's right...it turned out perfect! And tasted pretty good too (we shaved off the underneath so we could do a taste test).
That's right! My icing turned out and it was the bomb!
Sabrena couldn't get enough of it! Thank you again to my dear friend, Sabrena, for helping me make my first cake from scratch!

4 comments:

  1. Your welcome! Told you it was easy. I have to use my fancy education for something these days. Your were a great student, very cocky, but I expected that! ♥ Sabrena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Your first cake from scratch is a penis cake. That is hilarious.

    I am Fickle Cattle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading your blog, looking at the photos, and then all a sudden I see the penis cake.I'm thinking is that really in a shape of a penis. Thought maybe you made it for a bachelorette party. And that is awesome that your first cake came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love the penis cake! :)

    ReplyDelete